Local Entries in the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland was edited by N. E. S. A. Hamilton, Esq., and published sometime around 1867 / 1868 by James S Virtue of London. It was a topographical dictionary of the British Isles comprising above 80,000 names of towns, villages, parishes, hamlets, castles, seats and other natural or political divisions; with a description of their churches, schools, antiquities, manufacturers, progress, railways etc.

Ashby Puerorum : a par. in the hund. of Hill, parts of Lindsey, in the co. of Lincoln, 4 miles to the N.E. of Horncastle. Spilsby is its post town. It is situated on the Wolds, and comprises the hmlt. of Stainsby and the ext. par. lib. of Holbeck. The addition to the name of the parish was made in consequence of the gift of an estate here to the choristers of Lincoln cathedral. The living is a vic. in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £118, in the patron. of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church, which is old, is dedicated to St. Andrew. Roman relics have been discovered in the neighbourhood of the church.

Baumber : a par. in the north div. of the wap. of Gartree, parts of Lindsey, in the co. of Lincoln, 6 miles to the S.E. of Wragby. The living is a perpet. cur. in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £37, in the patron. of the Duke of Newcastle. The church is dedicated to St. Swithin

Belchford : a par. in the northern div. of the wap. of Gartree, parts of Lindsey, in the co. of Lincoln, 6 miles to the N.E. of Horncastle. Good limestone is quarried here. In the parish is Belchford Wood, where the South Wold hounds meet. The living is a rect. in the dioc. of Lincoln, of the val. of £425, in the patron. of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul.

Claxby-Pluckacre : a par. in the hund. of Hill, parts of Lindsey, in the co. of Lincoln, 4 miles S.E. of Horncastle. Boston is its post town. The living is a rect. in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £70, in the patron. of the Hon. H. Dymoke. The church, which was dedicated to St. Andrew, fell down about a hundred years ago, and has not been rebuilt. J. B. Stanhope, Esq. is lord of the manor.  Claxby Wood is a meet for the Brocklesby hounds.

Dalderby : a par. in the S. div. of the wap. of Gartree, parts of Lindsey, in the co. of Lincoln, 2 1/4 miles S. of Horncastle, its post town. It is situated on the Horncastle canal and the river Bain. There is no village, only five cottages. The living is a rect. in the dioc. of Lincoln, annexed to the rect. of Scrivelsby. The church, which is now in ruins, was dedicated to St. Martin.

Edlington : a par. in the N. div. of the wap. of Gartree, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 2 miles N.W. of Horncastle, its post town and railway station on the Great Northern line. It is situated under the Wolds, near the river Bain. Nearly two-thirds of the land is pasture and meadow, the remainder arable, with 50 acres of woodland. The living is a vic. in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £352, in the patron. of the lord chancellor. The church, which has recently been partially rebuilt, is dedicated to St. Helen, and contains a monumental brass. The register commences in 1561. There is a National school for both sexes. John Hassard Short, Esq., is lord of the manor. Here is a meet for the South Wolds hounds.

Fulletby : a par. in the hund. of Hill parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 3 miles N.E. of Horncastle, its post town, and ll S.W. of Louth. At the time of the Domesday Survey the lands were held by the Bishop of Durham, some of the Saxon nobles, and the priest of the parish. It is situated in an agricultural district, and the land is chiefly arable, only one-third being pasture and common. The living is a rect. in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £302. The church, a modern edifice, erected on the site of the old one, is dedicated to St. Andrew, and has some beautiful painted windows. The register commences in 1750. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there is a National school. In the neighbourhood Roman remains have been found, consisting mostly of cinerary urns and coins. William Elmhirst, Esq., is lord of the manor. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1775.

Great Sturton : a par. in the N. div. of Gartree wap., parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 6 miles N.W. of Horncastle, its post town, and 8 N. of Southry railway station. The village is at the foot of the Wolds, near the river Bain. Sturton is said to have been a Roman station. The living is a vic. in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £116. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The enclosure of this parish took place in 1776.

Greetham : a par. in the hund. of Hill, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 3 miles E. of Horncastle, its post town, and 12 S. of Louth. It is situated at a considerable elevation, commanding an extensive prospect over the country, with a good view of the North Sea. The district is agricultural. The tithes have been commuted. The living is a rect. in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £275, in the patron. of the bishop. The church is an old edifice, dedicated to All Saints. The register commences in the year 1653. There are a few small charities. Some Roman coins and other remains were found here a short time since. Frank Wormald, Esq., is lord of the manor under the Duchy of Lancaster, to which a large portion of this neighbourhood belongs.

Haltham : a par. in the soke of Horncastle, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 4 miles S. of Horncastle, its post town. The parish, which is small, is situated on the canal, upon which steam-vessels ply daily between Lincoln and Boston. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a rect. united with that of Roughton, in the dioc. of Lincoln. The churth is dedicated to St. Benedict. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Henry Chaplin, Esq. , is lord of the manor, and principal landowner.

Hameringham : a par. in the hund. of Hill, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 4 miles SE. of Horncastle, and 10 N .E. of the Tattersall railway station. Lincoln is its post town. The land is chiefly arable, and the village wholly agricultural. On the enclosure of the parish, 200 acres of land were allotted in lieu of tithes. The living is a rect.* united with the rect. of Scrayfield, val. £430. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice, with a turret containing two bells. In the interior is an old stone font curiously carved with armorial bearings. The register dates from 1777. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Lady Coltman is lady of the manor.

Hemingby : read at https://history.hemingby.net/records/entry-in-the-national-gazetteer-of-great-britain-and-ireland/

High Toynton : a par. in the soke of Horncastle, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 1 1/2 mile E. of Horncastle, its post town. The village is situated on the border of the Wolds, and on the road to Spilsby. The soil consists of flint and clay, with a subsoil of white clay. The living is a perpet. cur. annexed to that of Mareham-on-the-Hill, in the dioc. of Lincoln. The church, dedicated to St. John-the-Baptist, was re-built in 1772, and restored in 1850. It has three stained windows. The register dates from 1715. The Wesleyans have a chapel.

Horncastle Soke : a soke in the parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, contains the pars. of West Ashby, Coningsby, Haltham-upon-Bain, Horncastle, Langrick Ville, Mareham-le-Fen, Mareham-on-the-Hill, Moorby, Roughton, Thimbleby, Thornton-le-Fen, Toynton (High and Low), Wilksby, and Wood Enderby, comprising about 24,780 acres. It gives name to a deanery in the archdeac. and dioc. of Lincoln.

Horncastle : a deanery, par., and market town in the soke of Horncastle, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 21 miles E. of Lincoln, and 136 N. of London by road, or 130 by the Great Northern railway, on which it is a station. The Horncastle and Kirkstead railway joins the Lincoln and Boston line at Kirkstead, thus opening a communication with most parts of England. The river Bain in 1801 was rendered navigable, at the cost of £35,000, by the cutting of a canal to join the Witham at Tattershall. The town is situated in a valley at the foot of the Wolds, and bears traces of having been a Roman station. At the point formed by the junction of the rivers Waring and Bain, where now stands the modern town, is an intricate circle known as Julian’s Bower, and at a little distance are traces yet visible of a fortification. At the time of the Domesday Survey it was in the possession of William the Norman, and is spoken of in Saxon documents as Hyrn-Ceastre, or the “castle at the angle.” It had several privileges conferred on it by charter of Henry III., and has recently been much improved. Its population in 1851 was 4,921, which had declined in 1861 to 4,846. It contains many well-built houses and shops, and is lighted with gas and well paved. There are a corn exchange, erected in 1856, where the mechanics’ institute is also held, a magistrates’ office, and county court, subscription library, clerical library, savings-bank, dispensary, established in 1789, and the union workhouse, situated in Foundry-street; also a new butter market, erected at the expense of J. B. Stanhope, Esq., in 1853. The Horncastle Agricultural Society hold their meetings annually at the Bull and Red Lion hotels alternately. A considerable trade is carried on in cotton, wool, coals, malting, and brewing. Special and petty sessions for the Horncastle division of the parts of Lindsey are held every Saturday, and the Board of Guardians for Horncastle Poor-law Union meet every alternate Tuesday. The living is a vic.* in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £612, in the patron. of the Bishop of Carlisle. The bishops of Carlisle were lords of the manor from 1218 to 1858, when the property of the see was transferred to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a structure of the time of Henry VII., with a square tower, surmounted by a spire at the W. end, and containing a peal of six bells. The South chapel was rebuilt in 1821, and the whole fabric has just undergone a thorough restoration, at the cost of £4,000. The chancel, restored at the sole cost of the lay rector, is laid with Minton’s encaustic tiles, and contains several monuments and an old brass to the Dymoke family. The register dates from 1559. Besides the parish church, there is a chapel-of-ease, built in 1848, dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, have places of worship. There is a free grammar school, founded in the reign of Elizabeth by Edward Lord Clinton, and Saye, Lord High Admiral of England, which is open to the sons of residents of the town and soke, and has an income from endowment of about £400, with two exhibitions to either of the universities. There are also National, British, and infant schools. Saturday is market day. Fairs are held on the fifth Thursday in Lent for cattle and sheep, on the 21st and 22nd June for horses and cattle, on the first Monday after the 8th August, and week following, being one of the largest horse fairs in England, in the middle of September for foals and sheep, and on the 228th and 29th October for cattle, horses, sheep, and pedlery.

Low Toynton : a par. in the soke of Horncastle, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 1 mile N.E. of Horncastle, its post town. The soil is light, and the subsoil a whitish clay. The living is a rect.* in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £332. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains a sculptured font. The register dates from 1606. The Rolleston family owns the manor.

Mareham on the Hill : a par. in the soke of Horncastle, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 2 miles S.E. of Horncastle, its post town. The parish, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The soil is stony and flinty, with a subsoil of white clay. The living is a perpet. cur. annexed to that of High-Toynton, in the dioc. of Lincoln, joint val. £160, in the patron. of the Bishop of Manchester. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a turret containing one bell. In 1804, during the restoration of the church, two angels of Henry VII., two nobles of Edward IV., with several silver coins of later date, in a leather purse, were discovered within the wall. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans. Christopher Turner, Esq. , of Stoke Rochford, is lord of
the manor.

Minting : a par. in the S. div. of the wap. of Gartree, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 6 miles N.W. of Horncastle, its post town, and 7 N. of the Southrey and Bardney railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on a branch of the river Witham, and is wholly agricultural. About one half of the land is indifferent pasture, and the remainder arable and woodland. Here was formerly an alien priory of Benedictine monks, which was given by Henry V. to the Carthusian priory of Mount Grace, and subsequently came into the possession of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The living is a vic.* and rect. in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £437, in the patron. of St. John’s College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a turret, and once belonged to the Abbey of Leyr, in France. The interior of the church contains a carved screen, which divides the chancel from the nave. There is a National school for both sexes, erected in 1851. The manor belongs to St. John’s College, Cambridge.

Salmonby : a par. in the hund. of Hill, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 5 1/2 miles N.E. of Horncastle, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Alford. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Steeping, and is wholly agricultural. There is a mineral spring. The living is a rect.* in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £308. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is an ancient ivy-mantled edifice with a bell-turret. It is said to have been erected in the reign of Edward III., and contains a piscina. The register dates from 1558. There is a school for the instruction of children of this parish, and that of Tetford, chiefly supported from lands bequeathed by Mr. E. Richardson in 1714.

Scrafield : a par. in the hund. of Hill, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 3 1/2 miles S.E. of Horncastle, its post town. The parish, which is inconsiderable, contains only two or three farmhouses. A skirmish took place here during the civil contest in the reign of Charles I. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £135, and the glebe comprises 36 acres. The living is a rect. annexed to that of Hameringham, in the dioc. of Lincoln. No traces of the church, once dedicated to St. Michael, remain, but the churchyard is still devoted to burial purposes. Scrafield House
is the principal residence.

Scrivelsby : a par. in the S. div. of Gartree wap., parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 2 1/2 miles S. of Horncastle, its post town, and 7 N. of Tattershall. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. In the reign of Edward III. the manor passed from the Marmions and Ludlows to the Dymokes, hereditary champions of England, who hold their estates by “the service of grand serjeantry.” The surface is generally level, and the soil a rich sandy loam alternated with clay. The living is a rect. annexed to that of Dalderby, in the dioc. of Lincoln, joint val. £700. The church, dedicated to St. Benedict, has a spired tower of recent erection. The church has a memorial window of the Rev. John Dymoke and his wife; there is also a brass of Sir Robert Dymoke, and several monuments of the same family. Scrivelsby Court, the seat of Sir Henry Dymoke, is situated in a well-wooded park abounding with deer, and contains the ruins of the old hall, which Leland described.

Tetford : a par. in the hund. of Hill, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 6% miles N.E. of Horncastle, its post town, and 8 W. of Alford railway station. The village, which is extensive, is situated on the river Steeping and the Wolds. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. Limestone is abundant, and is burnt for manure. In the vicinity are extensive encampments of British origin. The living is a rect. in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £373. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice with a tower and three bells. There is a National school for both sexes, which has a small endowment, and day and infant schools. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Sir M. J. Cholmeley, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner.

Thimbleby : a par. in the soke of Horncastle, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 1 1/2 mile N.W. of Horncastle, its post town, and 6 1/2 miles from the Kirkstead station on the Great Northern railway. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the Wolds, near the river Baine and the Horncastle canal. The manufacture of bricks and drain tiles is carried on. The drainage of the fen lands is under the jurisdiction of the Fen Commissioners. The living is a rect.* in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £441, in the patron. of trustees. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, was rebuilt in 1744. The register dates from 1643. There is a National school for both sexes, built in 1857. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels. Halgarth is the  principal residence.

Thornton : a par. in the S. div. of Gartree hund., parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 1 1/2 mile S.W. of Horncastle, its post town, and 6 N .E. of Kirkstead. The village is situated near the river Bain. The living is a vic.* in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £160, in the patron. of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The church, dedicated to St. Wilfred, is ancient. Sir H. Dymoke, Bart., is lord of the manor of Brampton.

West Ashby : a par. in the soke of Horncastle, parts of Lincoln, in the co. of Lincoln, 2 miles to the N.E. of Horncastle, its post town. It contains the hmlts. of Farthorpe and Middlethorpe.  The living is a perpet. cur. in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £51, in the patron. of the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is dedicated to All Saints. Ashby Thorpe House is the principal residence.

Winceby : a par. in the hund. of Hill, parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 2 1/2 miles N.W. of Bolingbroke, and 4 S.E. of Horncastle, on the Wolds. A battle was fought here during the parliamentary war, in which the king’s troops were defeated. The living is a rect. in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £300, in the patron. of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. There is a village school.

Wispington : a par. in the S. div. of Gartree wap., parts of Lindsey, co. Lincoln, 4 miles N.W. of Horncastle. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. The living is a vic.* in the dioc. of Lincoln, val. £200. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, contains a Tudor screen faced with stone, and an old muniment chest. Christopher Turner, Esq., is lord of the manor.

Leave a Comment