WEST ASHBY is a parish and agricultural village on the Bain and the road from Horncastle to Louth, 2¼ miles north from Horncastle terminal station of a branch of the Great Northern railway, in the Horncastle division of the county, parts of Lindsey, Horncastle soke, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Horncastle, rural deanery of Horncastle, archdeaconry of Stow and diocese of Lincoln.
The church of All Saints is a building of stone in the Perpendicular and Earlier styles, and consisting of large chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 3 bells, 8 tubular bells and a clock placed in 1903 by Mr. Basset in memory of his mother: there are several monuments to the Rockcliﬁe family: in the north aisle are memorial windows to Elizabeth Jane, wife of Edmund Ruck-Keene esq. of Swyncombe, Oxon, and daughter of William and Elizabeth Elmhirst, who died in Dec. 1875; to Gen. Elmhirst C.B.,(d. 1893) and Frances (Hunt) his wife and to Mrs. Lilian Frances Elmhirst: at the west end of the aisle is a memorial window to William Augustus Elmhirst, capt. 9th Foot, d. 1892: in the chancel are brasses to Lieut. Stack and Mrs. Booth: in 1873 the church was completely restored and reseated, the cost of the restoration of the tower being defrayed by Mrs. Basset, daughter of the late William Elmhirst esq. in memory of Mrs. Barnard, well known, under the name of “Claribel,” as a musical composer: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £275, including 7 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1909 by the Rev. George Henniker-Gotley M.A. of Oriel College, Oxford. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1878.
Charities: In 1707 Richard Freeman left an annuity or rent-charge of 10s. for the use of the poor; in 1763 Hurton Barker left an annuity or rent-charge of 10s.; and in 1848 Mrs. Baker left £300 in the £3 per Cent. Reduced Bank Annuities for purchasing coals. West Ashby Manor House, the property of Francis Herbert Booth esq. and now the residence of James Newstead esq. is pleasantly situated near the village. Mrs. Booth, Mr. Thomas Harrison and William Henry Trafford esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is light loam; subsoil, white clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,459 acres; rateable value, £3,012; the population in 1911 was 308.
FAR THORPE, 1 mile, and MIDDLE THORPE, half a mile north, are hamlets.
Parish Clerk, Harry Hundleby.
Post, T., Telephone Call & Express Delivery Office. Mrs. Alice C. Curtis, sub-postmistress.
Letters through Horncastle, which is the nearest money order office
Wall Letter Box, Middle Thorpe
Public Elementary School, erected in 1874 by subscription, at a cost of £300, for 100 children; Mrs. E. E. Goodyear, mistress. A certain number of children of the parish are eligible for free instruction at the Endowed Grammar school at Horncastle
Henniker-Gotley Rev. G.,M.A.Vicrge
Morton Fredk. Wm. West Ashby house
Newstead James, Manor house
Sharpley Mrs. West Ashby lodge
marked thus * farm 150 acres or over
Atkin Thomas, farmer & pig dealer
Bamford Wm. (Mrs.), frmr. Four hills
Bradley John, thrashing machine owner, Far Thorpe
Brown Charles, blacksmith
Collin Henry, cottage farmer
Dawson Thomas, farmer, Furze hill
Ellerby Harry, farmer
Gaunt William, farmer, Middle Thorpe
*Hare Samuel, farmer, Brook farm
*Harrison Thomas, farmer
Houlden Robert H. farm foreman to Thomas Harrison esq
Marshall Albert, cottage farmer
*Marshall Wm. Jabez, farmer, Manor farm
Middleton William, farmer, Lapwater
*Mowbray John Atkin, farmer, Far Thorpe
Peall George (Mrs.), cottage farmer Far Thorpe
*Prestwood David, farmer
Sly Sarah Ann (Mrs.), Green Dragon Inn
Squires George, wheelwright
Tuplin William, gamekeeper to J. Newstead esq
*Walter Hubert, farmer, The Hall, Middle Thorpe
*Walter Joseph, farmer, Vale house, Middle Thorpe