ASHBY PUERORUM is a parish and village, and derives the distinctive part of its name from an estate here, bequeathed at an early period for the support of the singing boys in Lincoln cathedral; it is 5½ miles east-by-north from Horncastle station on a branch of the Great Northern railway, in the Horncastle division of the county, parts of Lindsey, Hill hundred, Horncastle county court district, union and petty sessional division, rural deanery of Hill, archdeaconry of Stowand diocese of Lincoln. On Aug. 8, 1901, the ecclesiastical parishes of Greetham and Ashby Puerorum were united by Order in Council.
The church of St. Andrew is an ancient ediﬁce of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, the windows being Perpendicular: it consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a tower, with pinnacles, containing 2 bells: about 1850 it underwent extensive repairs, at a cost of nearly £300, raised by a rate and private subscription; it was last restored about 1878: in the church is a brass with efﬁgies, executed c. 1560, to Richard Lytleburye esq. of Stanesbye, ob. 1521, and to his wife Elizabeth (Jenney), ob. 1523: there is another brass with effigies of a man, his wife and ten children, possibly of the same family, and there is a ﬁne incised slab in the chancel: there are 76 sittings. The register dates from the year 1657.
The living is a Vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Greetham, joint net yearly value £239, including 6 acres of glebe, with Lincoln, and held since 1908 by the Rev. Thomas Hoole, of London University, who re-sides at Greetham. Stainsby, which is now a farm house, was formerly a seat of the Littlebury family. Holbeck Manor is the seat of Neal Green esq.; the mansion, built in 1823, stands in well-wooded park-like grounds of about 70 acres in extent, and containing three lakes. J. D. Storr esq. and T.M. Tupholme esq. who are joint lords of the manor, George James Brown esq. and Neal Green esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is heavy loam; sub-soil, mostly sandstone rock. The chief crops are oats, barley, turnips and seeds. The area is 1,626 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value, £1,131; population in 1911 was 127.
HOLBECK and STAINSBY are hamlets in this parish. Holbeck is reputed to be extra-parochial for ecclesiastical purposes.
Parish Clerk, Charles Lammiman.
Post Office. – Benjamin Sandall, sub-postmaster. Letters through Horncastle. Tetford, 3 miles distant, is the nearest money order office & Hagworthingham the nearest telegraph office.
Public Elementary School, built in 1878 by the Messrs. Coltman, for 40 children
Green Neal, Holbeck manor
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
*Brown George James, farmer & breeder of Lincoln Reds, Stainsby house
*Mountain Alfd. farmer, Ashby house
Oliver George, farmer, Holbeck
Overton Henry, farm foreman to G. J. Brown esq
*Storr John, farmer, Clapgate farm